Vitamin D has several roles to play in the body and it is an essential nutrient when it comes to the health of a human body. It is important to note all minerals and vitamins play a certain role in the body and thus, one cannot completely avoid any nutrient or remove it from one’s diet.
To such a point, there are doctors or researchers who suggest that it is essential to have healthy bones and for that vitamin D is required. It is also essential in order to aid fight against depression as well as cancer genesis. What role does vitamin D play when it comes to weight loss? How does it aid weight loss?
Correlation Between Weight Gain And Vitamin D
The deficiency of vitamin D is a common phenomenon which is a result of our modern lifestyles. There are many studies that have been conducted in order to evaluate the association that lies between weight and vitamin D levels in the body. Many studies suggest that there is indeed a link between obesity and deficiency of vitamin D.
Also, a deficiency in vitamin D is associated with different metabolic diseases as well a dish regulation of the lipid synthesis which leads to diabetes as well as other metabolic syndromes. The proper functioning of the body is needed and for that vitamin D is vital. It is common sense that it will affect our body as well as our health.
One common association is the absorption capacity of calcium. Vitamin D plays a vital role to help the body absorb calcium and if there is a lack of it that will result in increased calcium levels in the adipose tissues. That in turn leads to reduced oxidation of the lipid and that in turn results in weight gain.
In other words, if there is a lack of vitamin D it could result in weight gain along with increased risk of other ailments.
Weight Loss And Vitamin D
If there is a lack of it which result in weight gain will the opposite result in the loss of weight? Some experts say that the case is not that simple an association. However, there are ways of linking the higher levels of vitamin D in our system which can result in weight loss. Many of them are:
1. The studies show consistency in the relation between weight loss and vitamin D. As people take in vitamin D in their diet they get to reduce their waist and are able to achieve weight loss faster than those who seem to lack adequate amount of vitamin D in their system.
2. Vitamin D can cause weight loss whose effects are prominent when it is combined with calcium intake. Many studies look at the effects of vitamin D when it is combined with the supplements of calcium. These studies suggest that calcium and vitamin D together help to bring in weight loss and they also help to reduce the belly fat.
3. Other studies suggest that there is evidence that vitamin D prevents the addition of adipose tissues in the system. Thus, in other words, it helps the fat build up to be prevented.
4. Then again there is a complicated part of the association between weight and vitamin D. Many studies show that the higher the levels of fat in one’s body, the lower the levels of vitamin D in the same. That may happen due to the adipose tissue that stores vitamin D produced by the skin becoming less active; that is especially true for women more than men as they have higher levels of belly fat usually which translates to lesser amounts of vitamin D.
Thus, those who are able to increase their levels of vitamin D are able to lose weight easily.
Thus, there is a little controversy here akin to the chicken and egg story. One may be left wondering which comes first, the chicken or the egg? One needs to understand the full process of the working of the nutrient in the human system in order to understand its correlation with weight gain or loss.
Vitamin D is not only important for health but also for other bodily processes. The deficiency of the same leads to weight gain while weight loss in turn results in an increase of the vitamin D levels in the body which again promotes weight loss and helps other elements to improve like insensitivity to insulin, the functioning of the parathyroid hormone, calcium absorption and metabolism. Thus, it is akin to a never ending cycle.
One needs to keep in mind that vitamin D alone cannot influence weight loss. Diet and a proper lifestyle have to be followed in order to regulate one’s weight.
How To Increase Vitamin D
As vitamin D is synthesized by the skin in the presence of sunshine, one needs to ensure that exposure to the sun is there regularly while one does need to take adequate skin protection as well from the harmful rays of the sun.
2. Taking Supplements
There are many supplements that can provide the nutrients in adequate amounts in your diet. You might consider taking up such supplements along with your food such as cod liver oil or fish oil supplements. However one needs to ensure that the supplements are of superior quality and made by reputed well known brands.
3. Intake Of Food That Is Rich In Vitamin D
It is best that you intake food that is rich in vitamin D as that is the natural and healthy way of ensuring that you get the right amount of the necessary nutrient. Thus, you could aim to include more fish in your diet. You need to add on dairy products like yoghurt or milk. If you are dieting you need to take skim milk to ensure adequate amount of calcium intake. Other food items rich in vitamin D are liver, eggs and beef. These food items consumed in moderate quantities will ensure that you get vitamin D in the right amount for the system.