The Metropolitan Police is now estimating the nature of the new information it has recently received about the deaths of Princess Diana and Dodi Al Fayed in 1997.
Scotland Yard said it was looking carefully at the information and evaluating its significance and credibility. The yard said it was “not a re-investigation” into the deaths of the couple in a Paris car crash on 31 August 1997.
An investigation in 2008 found they had been unlawfully killed, partly due to the disgusting negligence of their driver. The Metropolitan Police, in a statement made on Saturday evening said the assessment would be carried out by officers from the specialist crime and operations command.
The statement made by the Metropolitan Police also added that the deaths had been “thoroughly investigated and examined” by the investigation held at the Royal Courts of Justice in London.
Reports in several British Sunday newspapers and several other newspapers suggest there are accusations that the military was involved and that information had been passed to the police by an Army source. A Police spokesman said that the force would “not discuss the source of the information” it was trying to estimate the nature of.
A similar royal spokeswoman also said there would be no comment on the matter from Prince William or Prince Harry, or from Clarence House.
A spokesman for Dodi’s father Mohamed Al Fayed said he had no comment to make, but stated that he is very keen to see the outcome of the investigation, adding to which he said that he trusted the Met to investigate the information “with full exertion”.