A swarm of Brazilian wandering spiders that hatched off from a banana a family had purchased from their local supermarket, forced the family to evacuate their home in London earlier this week.
Consi Taylor, a 29-year-old woman from London, was eating the banana she had bought when she noticed a small white lump on the peel.
Consi initially thought that it was mold until the spiders suddenly started hatching out onto her table and her carpet and started to scatter all over her home. Taylor told the Sun newspaper, “I had a closer look and was horrified to see they were spiders. They were hatching out on the table, scurrying around on my carpet.”
The family sent pictures of the spiders to the local pest control service that immediately recognized the insects as Brazilian wandering spiders and asked the family to immediately evacuate their house so that they could come and fumigate their home.
These spiders are considered to be the most venomous spiders in the world. They live and breed in tropical climates like in Brazil and are known to make their homes in banana trees. And from here has the nickname banana spiders engendered.
However, the spiders that invaded the Taylor’s home were only baby spiders and for the time being did not pose any major threat to the family as the baby spiders are unable to open their jaw wide enough to bite a human.
The supermarket from where the family had purchased the bananas publically apologized to the family for this unfortunate incident and paid for the fumigation of their home and also for the hotel expenses till the time they had to stay out of their home.