The world of entertainment has seen the rise and rise of actress Lupita Nyong’o. The Hollywood star has scooped a number of awards and has featured almost every week in any sort of entertainment news around the world. But how much do you know Lupita? Is she your everyday ordinary girl? Was her rise to fame a case of luck or hard work? Let’s take a look at some things that you probably did not know about the famous Hollywood actress that looks unstoppable at the moment.
1. She was 16 years when she left Kenya to study Spanish at the Universidad Autonoma of De Mexico and speaks four languages; Dholuo, English, Kiswahili and Spanish.
2. She worked as a production assistant on the set of Constant Gardener, where she met Ralph Fiennes. His advice on finding out that she wanted to pursue acting was that; “if there is something else that you want to do, do that. Only act if you feel you can’t live without it.
3. Her first ever role was in the play Oliver Twist and she had only one line: “Coming down the street there.”
4. While at Yale school, she won the Herschel Williams Prize, “awarded to students with outstanding ability” where she played Perdita in The Winters tale, Sonya in Uncle Vanya and Katherine in The Taming of the Shrew. She was also on Michael Mitnick’s Elijah.
5. Her cousin Isis Nyong’o was recently featured in Forbes list of Africa’s most powerful women. Tavia Nyong’o is an associate professor of Performance studies at New York University.
6. She won the Miss Malaika, a beauty pageant which celebrated beauty and intellect in 2008 and credits this to the confidence of accepting her beauty.
7. She recently laughed off rumors of her dating Hollywood heartthrob Jared Leto and described her first brush with paparazzi in an interview with The New Yorker as a startling and disturbing experience.